Application Checklist

When you apply for a building permit, you must submit:

  • A completed building permit application form [PDF - 442 KB] signed by all owners of the property and accompanied by a $150 non-refundable application fee.

  • Two copies of a site plan, drawn to scale showing the location of all existing and proposed structures. A site plan is also required for demolition permits.

  • Two copies of construction drawings, drawn to scale, showing sufficient detail so that compliance with the BC Building Code and all other relevant bylaws and regulations may be assessed prior to commencement of work. In some cases the drawings will have to be signed and sealed by a registered professional. However, for most single-family residential and some commercial construction, an registered professional is not required. A typical set of construction drawings shall include:
    • A foundation or basement plan;
    • A floor plan for each level or storey;
    • Elevation drawings (all sides);
    • Detailed cross sections;
    • Details of specific construction i.e. truss layout, structural connections, etc.; and
    • General specifications.

For manufactured homes and other factory-built structures, three copies of foundation plans will be required, showing details of the anchoring system and service connections, the manufacturer’s name, date of manufacture, model and size of the unit, B.C. Mobile Home Registry Number and CSA/Z240 certification number. For site-built additions (e.g. decks and carports), see the requirements listed above for drawings.

  • For all construction, a copy of a sewage disposal system permit issued by the Ministry of Health. Where no plumbing is proposed, written comment from the Ministry of Health.

  • Where required by provincial regulations, a copy of an access permit issued by the Ministry of Transportation in the name of the registered owner.

  • When constructing in a known floodplain or other hazard area, details of how specific construction requirements will be met. In some cases, the services of a professional engineer may be required. Please ask at the regional district office for further information.

  • For new home construction, documentation from the provincial Homeowner Protection Office (HPO) is required. The HPO may be contacted at 1-800-407-7757.