#FVRDWildfire - Evacuation alert issued
July 10, 2015
An evacuation alert has been issued by the Fraser Valley Regional District at the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) in Chilliwack. At this time, there is no requirement for residents to leave their homes. A wildfire is currently burning in the Nahatlatch region, south of the Nahatlatch River. This alert covers all properties along the Nahatlatch Forest Service Road, from the Nahatlatch River Rafting Resort Access Road to the terminus of the Nahatlatch Forest Service Road, including the Hannah Lake cabins. The map below provides an overview of where the wildfire is currently located and the properties affected by this alert.
“We have issued this evacuation alert to notify area residents and businesses of the potential for this threat to escalate and create unsafe conditions,” says FVRD Chair Sharon Gaetz. “Our number one concern is ensuring public safety and enabling the Forestry Service and firefighting crews the ability to manage this wildfire and attempt to get it under control.”
The FVRD recommends residents should:
- Locate all family members and be prepared to evacuate your residence and property to an identified safe reception centre.
- Gather essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), and immediate care needs for dependents.
- Prepare to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Move pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Ensure your vehicle has a full tank of gas. Arrange to transport your household members in the event of an evacuation order.
- Monitor news sources for updates, including www.fvrd.ca on social media using hashtag #FVRDWildfire, and local radio stations (CBC, StarFM 98.3 and 89.5 TheDrive)
Electoral Area “A” Director Terry Raymond says, “Our staff and volunteers are going door-to-door to deliver the evacuation alert, and this information will also be posted in numerous public locations throughout our community.”
The FVRD will provide as much notice as possible prior to any evacuation; however residents may be required to leave their homes immediately. A recommended travel route and location of the Emergency Social Services Evacuation Reception Centre will also be issued at that time.
For additional information about this wildfire, please visit http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=550