Wood Stove Exchange Program
FVRD residents are eligible to receive a $250 rebate for trading in their old uncertified wood burning appliance for a new low emission appliance or a $400 rebate for a gas appliance.
New technology wood burning appliances are proven to burn 1/3 less wood, reduce emissions by up to 70%, and significantly reduce the risk of chimney fires.
Does your appliance qualify for an exchange?
The following appliances qualify for an exchange:
- A free-standing non-EPA certified “stove”.
- A “homemade” or “barrel” stove,
- A so-called “airtight” non-EPA certified fireplace insert, or tube type heat exchanger with a face plate and door (like the ‘Free Heat Machine’ or Welenco) that is currently installed in an open hearth fireplace,
- A non-EPA certified “wood furnace” (ducted, forced air, home heating appliance) – may only be replaced by an EPA certified wood furnace or pellet furnace,
- A wood-burning cook stove,
- An open hearth fireplace (must receive prior approval from Program Coordinator).
What qualifies as a certified replacement?
- An EPA certified wood stove, a pellet stove, or a high efficiency gas stove/fireplace,
- An EPA certified wood insert, a pellet insert, electric insert or a high efficiency gas insert,
- An EPA certified factory-built fireplace – may only be accepted if it is replacing a non-EPA certified wood stove or non-EPA certified wood insert (not an existing factory built fireplace),
- A heat pump system as approved by the Program Coordinator.
Where can you find a participating retailer?
There are 13 retailers participating in the FVRD's Wood Stove Exchange Program. However, if you find a suitable appliance from a retailer who is not on this list, please contact the Program Coordinator to find out how to proceed. If you would like to become a Participating Retailer, please contact the Program Coordinator.
How does the program work?
The Do-It-Yourself Kit explains how the Program works and what paperwork needs to be submitted to the Program Coordinator in order to be eligible for the rebate.