Financial Assistance

Disaster Financial Assistance

Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is available for people affected by flooding and landslides from Nov 14 to Dec 2, 2021. Watch the video below to learn about the DFA program.

Who Can Apply

This assistance includes all Indigenous communities, electoral areas and municipalities within the Fraser Valley Regional District.

DFA is available to homeowners, residential tenants, business owners, farm owners, and charitable organizations that are unable to obtain insurance to cover disaster-related losses. By regulation, DFA is unable to compensate for losses for which insurance was reasonably and readily available. 

How to Apply

  • Complete the online application form. Applications are accepted until March 3, 2022.
  • Printed applications are available at the FVRD office at 1-45950 Cheam Avenue, Chilliwack. 
  • Call 778-704-0400 if you need assistance with the DFA application process.

What to Know When Applying for DFA

  • Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80% of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000.
  • Claims may be made in more than one category (e.g., homeowner and farm owner).
  • A homeowner or residential tenant must show that the home is their principal residence.
  • Seasonal or recreational properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items (e.g., jewelry, fur coats and collectibles) and recreational items (e.g., bicycles) are not eligible.
  • Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate that their farms and businesses are their primary source of income.
  • Charitable organizations must provide a benefit of service to the community at large.
  • DFA is limited to restoring actual damage caused by a specific disaster that has been declared eligible for compensation.

Learn More

Information, eligibility criteria, categories, and applications can be found by calling 1 888 257 4777 or visiting this website

See a map of eligible Indigenous communities, electoral areas, and municipalities.

Additional Financial Resources