Returning Home & Cleaning Up

It is important that you DO NOT return home until you have been advised it's safe to do so. You will be notified once your Evacuation Order has been rescinded.

  • Ensure you have a full tank of gas, food, and water for seven days, including supplies for pets, and medications.
  • Stay out of any buildings if floodwaters remain around or in the building.
  • Do not enter if you see buckled walls or floors.

Removing Waste & Debris

  • Flood damage generates a lot of waste. Consider hiring experienced contractors to handle potentially hazardous material such as drywall or insulation which could contain asbestos. Read this article to learn about asbestos hazards before starting work.
  • Contact a waste hauler to arrange for proper disposal of building and household material.
  • Residents in Electoral Areas B, D, E & H can take their flood waste to Bailey Landfill. To have tipping fees waived complete this application form and submit for approval before taking your flood waste to the landfill. Once you have been approved, please follow the City of Chilliwack's Disposal Guide.
  • Residents in Electoral Areas C, F & G can dispose of their flood waste at the Mission Landfill for a reduced fee of $135/tonne. There is a separate fee for Gypsum Board/Dry Wall. Please read this guide to find out how to prepare dry wall for disposal. Take photographs of your waste and keep all receipts and invoices. You may qualify for Disaster Financial Assistance.
  • Residents in Electoral Area A can dispose of their flood waste at the Chaumox landfill.

Cleaning Up

Red Cross Cleaning Kits 
Red Cross has provided flood clean-up kits consisting of a mop, sponges, brooms, gloves and other supplies that can be used to safely clean flood-damaged homes and property. These kits, a Flood Recovery Information Package and Disaster Financial Assistance application forms are available for pick up at the following locations and times:

Canyon Lanes
47585 Trans-Canada Hwy
Mon - Thu 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri & Sat 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Cultus Lake Park Board
4165 Columbia Valley Hwy
 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
FVRD Chilliwack Office
1-46950 Cheam Avenue
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Hope & Area Rec Centre
1005 6 Avenue

Mon - Sat 8:30 am - 8:30 pm
Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunshine Valley Fire Hall
71731 Meadow Road
Call 778-583-5661 to arrange pick up.
Sylvester Road Transfer Station
10033 Sylvester Road
Sat, Sun & Mon
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
  • There may be a great deal of debris around or in your home following a flood, and buildings may have shifted off their foundations or suffered other damage that may render them unstable. HealthLink BC has Clean-up Safety Precautions After a Flooding Disaster.
  • Call your insurance company to find out what your policy provides. There may be coverage for restoration work. You can also contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada at 1-844-227-5422 if you have questions about insurance.
  • Take photos to document all damage for your insurance company.
  • If damage is extensive, call a waste hauler to arrange for a bin to collect waste.  
  • Open all your doors and windows to air out your house.
  • Wear gloves and boots to protect yourself from flood water which can contain hazardous materials such as sewage, oil, and gas chemicals.
  • If water needs to be drained from your home, do so slowly. Drain about 1/3 of the water per day to ensure your home won't buckle.
  • Do not heat your home above the temperature outside until all water has been removed.
  • If your home has been damaged by water, you may encounter mould, which is a health hazard. Follow these cleaning guidelines or consider hiring a professional.
  • Throw out all perishable food.


Electrical equipment and gas appliances exposed to flood waters can be dangerous if they are re-energized and used without being properly inspected by a licensed contractor.

  • Gas appliances that have been flooded should not be used until inspected by a licensed gas contractor
  • Any wiring that has been partially or fully covered by floodwater should be checked by a qualified electrician or electrical contractor.
  • If water levels were high enough to cover your gas meter or electricity meter call FortisBC to inspect your meters before using any of your equipment 
  • If you find a red “outage” tag on the gas meter or your doorknob, a FortisBC technician will need to inspect the meter and regulator before turning the gas back on and relighting any appliances. Call the number on the tag or 1-877-711-8877.

Septic Systems & Wells

  • Until January 31, 2022, you may be eligible for free testing of your drinking water well. Visit HealthLinkBC for more information about this program.
  • Flooding can damage your septic system and well water systems. Reach out to a qualified contractor to assess your septic system, or call 604-585-2788.
  • Visit the Fraser Health Flood Planning webpage for additional resources on wells and septic systems or call Fraser Health at 604-587-4600.

Restoration and Building Permits

  • Fill in this Restoration for Flood Damage form before you contact the Building and Bylaws department about building permit submissions for repair work being done. It contains a checklist of documents and requirements.