Rainfall Warning in Effect
November 27, 2021
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for:
- Fraser Valley - central including Chilliwack
- Fraser Valley - east including Hope
- Fraser Valley - west including Abbotsford
Heavy rain totalling 80 - 100 mm is expected this weekend. Rain will begin this morning for most areas, but the heaviest rain will be tonight as the front nears. Rain will start to ease Sunday afternoon.
Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible. Watch for possible washouts near rivers, creeks and culverts.
The Ministry of Transporatation and Infrastructure has issued a Travel Advisory and is proactively closing Highway 3 between Hope and Princeton, Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon, and Highway 1 between Popkum and Hope on Saturday. Check DriveBC for updates and current road conditions.
Due to the uncertainty of the upcoming weather and road conditions, take some time to prepare now. Here are some items that are good to have on hand for immediate emergencies:
- Water, 4 litres per person per day to last 3 days;
- Non-perishable food, 3 day supply;
- First Aid kit and personal medication;
- Flashlight, hand crank or have extra batteries;
- Radio, hand crank or have extra batteries;
- Cell phone with extra power supplies or solar charger;
- Paper towel, toilet paper, personal hygiene products;
- Garbage bags, moist towelettes and plastic ties; and
- Board games, cards, books, etc. to help pass the time.
- Extra water and food for pets.
For more information about preparing for a flood, check out PreparedBC's Flood Preparedness Guide to find out how to prepare for, respond to, and recover from a flood.
Emergency updates will be posted to our Emergency Operations Centre page. Incidents are tracked on our Emergency Status Map. Call 778-704-0400 to report signs of flooding, overflowing banks, stream erosion, or water flowing across roads.
Signup for Alertable to receive emergency notifications by email, SMS, or phone call.