BC Energy Step Code
As part of the CleanBC Plan, the Province of BC now requires residential construction to be 20% more energy efficient than those built to the 2018 BC Building Code. This will apply to building permits applied for starting May 1, 2023.
- Ministerial Order No. M40 (PDF), amending the Building Act General Regulation effective May 1, 2023
- Ministerial Order BA 2023 08 (PDF), amending the BC Building Code effective May 1, 2023
- Read the convenience copy of the code changes (PDF for information only)
Summary Part 3 Buildings
- Introduces the Zero Carbon Step Code, an opt-in building carbon pollution standard for operational carbon.
- Introduces modified TEUI targets for office and retail occupancies.
Summary Part 9 Buildings
- Introduces the Zero Carbon Step Code, an opt-in building carbon pollution standard for operational carbon
- Introduces a prescriptive option for Step 3, Part 9 buildings if a local government passes an enabling bylaw
- More airtightness testing options
- New energy performance improvement compliance calculations
When starting the building/site design process a Certified Energy Advisor must be retained to ensure the proposed building meets the requirements of the BC Energy Step Code.
BC Energy Step Code Builders Guide - BC Housing
Compliance tools for Part 9 Buildings