How Do I Vote?
Qualifications for Voting
You can vote in the local elections if you
- are a Canadian citizen
- will be 18 years of age or older on October 15, 2022
- have been a resident of BC for at least 6 months before voting day
- are a resident in the applicable jurisdiction
have been a non-resident property elector in the applicable jurisdiction for at least 30 days before voting day
- have not been disqualified from voting.
Corporations are not entitled to vote.
Resident Elector: A person who usually lives in the jurisdiction and intends to return there whenever absent. You can only be a resident of one area at a time. For example, if you vote in a municipality as a resident, you cannot also vote in another municipality or regional district area as a resident. (You may be eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector).
Resident Elector Qualifications, ID Requirements and Rules for Determining Residency
Non-Resident Property Elector (NRPE): A person who is not a resident of a jurisdiction, but owns property there. NRPEs may be eligible to vote if they
- are not entitled to vote as a resident in the electoral area or in the entire school district
- have been a registered owner of real property in the electoral area or school district for at least 30 days
The following rules also apply to NRPEs
- you can only vote in relation to one parcel of real property in the electoral area or school district
- only one owner per property is entitled to vote on behalf of that property
- if more than one person is on title to the property, you must have written consent from the majority of owners to vote on behalf of the property (NRPE consent form)
- if a corporation owns a property, in part or in whole, none of the owners may vote as NRPEs
Non-Resident Property Electors must also provide proof of ownership of the property (e.g. title search, certificate of title, tax notice) and written consent of the majority of other owners to vote on behalf of that property.
NRPE Qualifications and ID Requirements
NRPE Consent Form
Cultus Lake Park Leaseholders: Non residents who hold a lease for a building site for a period not exceeding 21 years are entitled to vote as non-resident property electors if all other requirements are met.
Registering to Vote
Electors register at the voting place at the time of voting only, and must bring 2 separate pieces of identification, one of which includes a signature. The two pieces of ID should prove identity and place of residence. At a minimum, electors must have one piece of ID, with a signature, which proves identity, and then must make solemn declarations in the presence of election officials as to place of residence.
Electors can vote by
- attending voting locations on General Voting Day - Saturday, October 15, 2022
- attending voting locations on Advanced Voting Days
- mail ballot
- Curbside voting is available at all voting locations for electors who may be unable to access the voting places.
- Assistance with marking ballots can also be provided by election officials.
Please contact the Chief Election Officer for more information.
Mail Ballot Voting
Mail ballot voting is available to all eligible electors.
Inquiries regarding mail ballot voting for School District #33 (Chilliwack) Trustee elections should be directed to the City of Chilliwack Chief Election Officer at www.chilliwack.com/elections
To apply for mail ballot voting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org between September 16 and 4 pm on October 7, 2022. You must provide the following information
- your full name
- whether you are registering as a resident or non resident property elector (NRPE)
- residential address
- if you are an NRPE, the property address in relation to which you will be voting
- the electoral area/trustee area in which you reside or own property
- preferred method of delivery of your mail ballot package - either pick up at the FVRD office or by regular mail to an address you provide
Mail ballot packages will be sent out or available for pickup starting the first week of October until 4pm on October 7, 2022.