Open Burning Regulation
For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
A poster explaining the different categories of open burning is available online at www.gov.bc.ca/openfireregs.
Anyone who lights a fire must comply with B.C.'s air quality control legislation. The BC Wildfire Service urges people to take the following precautions with any permitted outdoor burning:
- Ensure that enough people, water and tools are on hand to control the fire and stop it escaping.
- Do not burn in windy conditions. The weather can change quickly and the wind may carry embers to other combustible material and start new fires.
- Create a fire guard around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves and other combustible material.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Make sure that your fire is fully extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before you leave the area for any length of time.
To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1-800-663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.